Friday, April 13, 2007

Davie isn't dead!

Thank god! Now, I can share with you all the sneaking suspicion that has been lurking inside me for the past few days - Davie had kicked the bucket, shuffled off this mortal coil, left us for a better place... Only he hasn't and the blighter has finally written to us, to inform us that he is staying about 300 metres down the road. 'Apparently' there was no internet on Flores - and what happened to "The three amigos," "all for one and one for all," etc? Hmmm... Am half intending to hug him in joyous relief and half planning to slap him round a bit - might do both.

So Matt squealed. He is such a snake! I was going to return to Burma triumphant, demonstrating my enormous capacity to 'rough it' with the best of them, to backpack on $2 a day, to revel in the moldy environs of countless, airless guest house rooms... But now I have to come clean (and yes, I mean come clean - I have the best shower in the world in my bathroom) and admit that I have cracked and fallen at the last hurdle, and I have a room that is cleaned daily, has hot water and a comfy bed. Now it must be pointed out that Matt gave you the erroneous impression that I pushed for an expensive place in Lovina, whereas it was in fact that famous, penny pinching miser who plumped for the luxury (with me trying to argue him out of it obviously - and getting very upset when I failed).

But now he can hear again - and I can no longer wind him up by mouthing words at him and watching him strain (and no, that never got boring) - he is back on form and paying $6 a night. I just couldn't face another place where the toilet wouldn't flush and the towel actually started inching away when I reached for it.... and most importantly I am allowing Matt to feel superior in a down to earth way!

Unfortunately, spending $40 a night on a hotel seems to have opened my financial floodgates, and I have just spent two days purchasing half of Ubud. How I will get any of my stuff back on the plane is a mystery which shan't be examined until the day after tomorrow! I have bought two enormous paintings, and enough silver jewellery to open my own shop. I must stop!!

Matt went to Dempesar today to find a big shopping mall so that he could buy lots of branded products. Sounds just like him doesn't it? We'll meet up tonight to compare shopping tales... thus continues the amazing adventures of the Bali trio! Don't worry, I'm sure Davie has some bona fide adventures (wrestling dragons, battling pirates and ignoring internet places for example) to share with you all.

He can do the next blog!

Tash

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We will never know the truth... but we can make educated guesses :D REALLY looking forward to all the presents you've bought us, especially all that silver jewellery! xxx George

Unknown said...

Ummm, am I the only person reading your blog? *embarrassment*

Mike Why said...

well send davie greetings from one of his fellow coworkers/tefl slaves from the soros IH daze. i mean, days.

glad to see he's still in top form (ie, drinking loads, travelling, and together with a hot young litho woman).

(hell, i'm glad to see he's just plain *alive*!)

mike